Followers

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Stake Conference

I really enjoy going to stake conference. Especially when it is broadcast from Salt Lake and we get to hear from general authorities. Although I will have to admit that I woke up this morning and said that it was pointless to go. I think I say that every stake conference because the girls are fidgety, they don't listen, and we spend a lot of time in the hall. Or in the case of the last stake conference we went to walking around the stadium at UNT. I will have to say that the girls did it again this year...but it was handled and by the end they were so tired which was good because the last speaker with President Uchtdorf (who I am growing to love). He has such a sweet spirit and wonderful testimony. I loved how it felt like he was speaking directly to me even though he was talking to 74 stakes in Texas, Oklahoma, and New Mexico. My favorite thing that he said was that he knew the people in these areas were not there by chance that we are supposed to be where we are. That really hit me. I have been really homesick lately. I miss my parents, I miss my friends, I miss my house, I miss my old ward. Don't get me wrong I love San Angelo. I have met some of the best people, but I can't help but missing things in North Texas. Lately I have been wondering why we couldn't stay where we were comfortable. It just answered my prayers that Heavenly Father knows and has sent me to San Angelo and I am here for a purpose. It reconfirmed what I already knew, I think. I love that he spent time talking about the things that we should be doing. It was interesting that he talked about temple recommends. Our stake made that a theme last night during the adult session in Abilene. They are really concerned about adults going to the temple and holding current temple recommnends. When President Uchtdorf spoke on this I was truly amazed that our Father in Heaven knows all and is aware of each area.
I loved going to the adult session last night! That was the first time in our married life that we have ever gone to the adult session of conference and it was an hour and half away! Clay needed to go the leadership meeting anyway and I didn't want to be stuck at home all night without him so the girls and I tagged along and went to the mall while he was in his meeting. Then we went to dinner with some friends that have become good friends. Then we went to the adult session. They actually provided babysitting. I think if the other stakes that we had been in provided babysitting I would have been more inclined to go to the adult session more often. :)

***Just a sneak peak for my blog entry tomorrow. It involves the mall and a little girl who was really excited to do something.

3 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

I have used Stake Conference as a free day...my little girl has so much energy I end up getting dirty looks and chasing her around! :)

Carol said...

Amber,
You do not know me but I think I have met you. I was looking on the internet for the talk by Pres. Uctdorf and it took me to your blog. I am thinking that your mother-in-law is Sherry Hooten-Soele from Ruidoso, New Mexico. We are good friends and go to church together. I enjoyed your comments about stake conference. I am sure many young mothers feel like you do about taking their children to church meetings. I remember as a teenager my seminary teacher had 4 kids. She was always in the foyer with one of them. I asked her one day why she did it if she never got to listen to the speakers. I will never forget her reply. She said,"Because it is a commandment and because it gets my children used to being in church". I remembered that every Sunday that I stood out in the hall with my kids all the while knowing that I would eventually be blessed for keeping that commandment to attend Sacrament meeting or Stake or General Conference. It is worth it in the end. Thanks for your comments. Your mother-in-law always has really nice things to say about you. I know she loves you. Carol Magill

A said...

I love your new profile pic!