Followers

Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Cannery

I had my first experience yesterday at the cannery. What an awesome experience it is to know that I am doing something for my family that can help us in times of need. I had an interesting experience when I went into the cannery and started to put the foods in cans. I felt the spirit so strongly. It was very similar to the feeling that I had when I went through the temple my first time. I knew that this was something we are supposed to be doing. I truly have a testimony of storing food and having a supply to sustain life through the times that may come. We had a great time. There was 5 sisters that were able to make it. I liked the feeling that I had to work to put the food together. Work is good. I feel better knowing that we are more on our way to having a year supply. Unfortunately we were only able to can 6 cans of each item. I guess I will be going back soon. Anyone want to join us next time??? Also does anyone have any good ideas of where to store this stuff? Eventually under the beds is not going to cut it.

5 comments:

My name is Andrea said...

I'll go next time! I wanted to go last night, but had the children to care for...:)

I keep extra food in my master closet. I had intended to put it under the stairs, but it has other stuff in it right now!

A said...

You are so good. I agree it brings a special feeling when you do something like that, knowing it is just one more way you are caring for your family.

Melissa Fisher said...

Amber,
I have just started reallly getting into food storage and I feel the same way you do. But I can't believe how expensive it is! I spent $300 this week alone!! I keep thinking, this better be worth it!

Bethanne said...

I am also glad that we are starting to work on our supplies...although small right now. We have a hutch where we store it (the garage was just TOO hot).

Michelle said...

That´s so cool. As far as where to put it...well, you´re right...eventually under the beds just don´t cut it. My parents learned that quickly...so, they dedicated an entire walk-in closet...plus 1/4 of their room from floor to ceiling. They just covered it with curtains so nobody would notice. But, definately a good idea. We try and do what we can here. The blessing of having the cannery and the temple so close is incredible. There´s no cannery here...and the temple is about 7 hours away. So take advantage of EVERY opportunity!